Low Income Assistance Help
There is help out there for those on welfare, Social Security, and low income individuals and their families. It comes from the state government agencies, utility companies, the telephone company (house telephone), housing, and local nonprofit agencies. However, some of these places do have in place an income limit. None of the places listed below are associated with our organization.
* Workforce/Welfare can be located in the blue pages under state government services of the telephone book. It offers Medicaid (health insurance), WIC (Women Infants and Children) food program, child care, emergency services (depending on the state), and food stamps. During the winter, they also offer low income heating assistance grants. This is limited by income.
* Local housing authority (federal government listing: www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts/index.cfm) offers low income housing and Section 8 vouchers. This is offered on a sliding scale based on a percentage of your monthly income. However, the list maybe closed in some cities and counties across the United States. They can be located in the blue pages of the local telephone book.
* Telephone and utilities companies offer help for people with limited income. The utility companies include electric and gas. Call the customer service line for more details or help.
* Food banks can help stock your pantry when you need food and low on funds. However, the particular agency may have income and/or family requirements before helping you.
* Catholic Charities and the Salvation Army offer emergency funds in some situations. However, check with their agency for the qualifications before applying for help.
* Meals on Wheels brings hot meals once a day over 5 days a week to the elderly.
* The public schools offer free or reduced lunches to enrolled students coming from low income families. Check with the school for the application.
* Head Start offers preschool to disabled or of low income families. They can be located in the blue pages of the telephone book.
Copyright: 2007 Act2getherNeighborsHelpingNeighbors Inc.
Return to Main Page